This message to all students, faculty and staff has been approved by Dr. Sally McRorie, Provost and Executive Vice President.
Florida State University is committed to offering as many classes face-to-face as we can, safely, in the Spring semester. Planning has been underway for the past several weeks. After thoughtful consideration, the Spring academic calendar was adjusted to remove Spring Break and the semester will end one week earlier, on April 23, 2021.
At this time, and following the CDC guidance, our Spring face-to-face classes will continue to be held in larger spaces to accommodate social distancing, face coverings will still be required, and hand hygiene and sanitization stations will remain available in the classrooms.
Registration will now open October 26
In order to balance these considerations and have more time to update course offerings, the University is delaying the opening of Spring 2021 registration. Here are some key dates you should be aware of. Monday, October 5, the class search was published for students. This schedule is being updated daily. Monday, October 26, the first set of enrollment appointments open. All subsequent enrollment appointments will be adjusted accordingly. Enrollment appointments in Student Central and the Registration Guide have been updated to reflect these changes. Check here to see your specific enrollment window. Spring 2021 course registration will remain open for all students until Friday, December 4, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
Tips for Searching Classes
Using Class Search? Use the physical location attribute in the class search to help filter the type of class you are looking for.
Using Schedule Assistant? Search for and add a class, then click on “Sections” (the gear icon) to view the physical location for each course section.
- Tallahassee-MAIN, Tallahassee, Fl-MAIN [Flex], Tallahassee-SW Engineering, Panama City [Flex], FL, Rep of Panama, Sarasota, etc.: The class section has some instructional components that require in-person/face-to-face activities at the campus location listed on the class details. Plan to be in town, interacting with other classmates face-to-face and wearing your face covering. The absence of a room on these class sections does not mean it will be remote. Actual room assignment may occur after October 26 as we work to place classes in rooms appropriate to the enrollment and the social distancing guidelines.
- Remote: The class section has been transitioned to an online version for the Spring 2021 semester and will be held virtually only. There is no distance learning fee associated with remote classes.
- Online: The class section will be taught online and is specifically designed for online delivery. Most online classes have a distance learning fee per credit hour in addition to regular tuition and fees. This supports the additional staff and technologies required to create and teach the online class.
Do you want a scheduled meeting day/time or more flexibility in your remote/online classes?
- For Remote or Online Classes
- Synchronous: The class will meet at the days/times listed via Zoom or other technologies. The registration system will not allow you to enroll in synchronous classes with overlapping times.
- Asynchronous: The class will not meet at a specific time. The instructor will use other teaching methods like recorded videos so coursework can be done at your convenience.
Face Coverings and Classes
Registration is your opportunity to make decisions about what the Spring semester will look like for you. Please be aware that the University will continue to require face coverings to be worn at all times when you are indoors and during classes. Students who have a medical issue or a disabling condition that may make wearing face coverings difficult should contact the Office of Accessibility Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 850.644.9566 (VRS for D/deaf 850.270.5370).
University Housing Considerations
Students and families with questions about Spring 2021 housing should reach out to Housing directly. Visit https://housing.fsu.edu/for more information.