Reminder: Opting for an S/U grade? Submit your request by April 12

This message to all students has been approved by Dr. Sally McRorie, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs.

As a reminder, students who choose the S/U grade option for eligible undergraduate courses must submit their request by Sunday, April 12, at 11:59 pm EDT.

Because of the remote instruction implemented in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, FSU has modified its undergraduate grading policy for the 2020 spring semester.

  • Undergraduate courses that currently use letter grades will continue to use letter grades. However, students may individually opt to receive a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade for eligible courses rather than a letter grade.
  • The window for students enrolled in eligible undergraduate courses to request the S/U option opened at 9 am EDT, Monday, March 30. All requests for the S/U option must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm EDT, Sunday, April 12. Students are strongly encouraged to review the Student Information Guide on S/U to understand the implications of their choice should they choose to switch from letter grades to S/U grades. The students who request the S/U option will be informed how their choice may affect GPA, financial aid, progress toward degree, etc. Students can also consult with their academic advisors to help them make informed decisions.
  • Students may select to change one or all of the eligible undergraduate classes in which they are enrolled. There is no requirement that students change any course if they wish to continue receiving a letter grade for any or all of their eligible undergraduate classes.
  • Students should consult with their instructors as to what constitutes an “S” or “U” in each class as it may be different.
  • The grading policy for graduate courses will not change. All graduate courses will receive letter grades.
  • Students in professional programs should check with their respective colleges for any grading policy changes.

To request S/U in classes that use letter grades, see instructions on How to Change Letter Grades to S/U Grades. For more detailed information and FAQ, visit the Student Information Guide on S/U.