Student Guidance on Spring 2020 Grading Options for Undergraduate Classes

This message to all students, faculty and staff has been approved by Dr. Sally McRorie, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Dear Students,

This is an unprecedented time in Florida State University’s history as the entire campus has moved to remote learning, and we realize this may be a difficult adjustment for some students.

In response, FSU has modified its undergraduate grading policy for the 2020 spring semester.

  • Undergraduate courses that now use letter grades will continue to use letter grades. However, students may individually opt to receive a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade for eligible courses rather than a letter grade.
  • Students enrolled in undergraduate courses may request S/U in eligible courses beginning at 9 a.m. ET Monday, March 30. All requests for the S/U option must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday, April 12. Students are strongly encouraged to review the Student Information Guide on S/U to understand the implications of their choice should they choose to switch from letter grades to S/U grades. The students who request the S/U option will be informed how their choice may affect financial aid, progress toward degree, etc. Academic advisors also can help students in the decision-making process should students have additional questions.
  • Students may select to change one or all of the eligible undergraduate classes in which they are enrolled. There is no requirement that students change any course if they wish to continue receiving a letter grade for any or all of their eligible undergraduate classes.
  • To be clear, students may not opt for S/U status after 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday, April 12.
  • Beginning March 30, students should consult their instructors as to what would constitute an “S” or “U” in each class. It may be different.
  • The grading policy for graduate courses will not change. All graduate courses will receive letter grades.
  • Students in professional programs should check with their respective colleges for any grading policy changes.

To request S/U in classes that use letter grades, see instructions on How to Change Letter Grades to S/U Grades.

For more detailed information and FAQ, visit the Student Information Guide on S/U.


Dr. Sally McRorie
Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs