Florida State University’s Presidential Search Advisory Committee (PSAC) will conduct preliminary interviews with 11 applicants for university president on Monday, Sept. 8, and Tuesday, Sept. 9.
Interviews will be held on campus in Room 108 of the Augustus B. Turnbull III Conference Center, 555 W. Pensacola St., Tallahassee, Fla. Each interview is scheduled for 70 minutes.
All interviews are open to the public, but seating is limited due to space constraints.
The PSAC unanimously selected the following candidates for preliminary interviews:
- Michael D. Amiridis – Provost at University of South Carolina
- Arthur B. Ellis – Provost and Professor of Chemistry at City University of Hong Kong
- Daniel Mark Fogel – Professor of English at University of Vermont
- J. Murray Gibson – Founding Dean in the College of Science at Northeastern University
- John P. Jones III – Dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at University of Arizona
- Richard Marchase – Vice President for Research and Economic Development at University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Michael V. Martin – Chancellor of the Colorado State University System
- Kate C. Miller – Dean of the College of Geosciences at Texas A&M University
- Garnett S. Stokes – Interim President at Florida State University
- John E. Thrasher – State Senator of Florida
- Michele G. Wheatly – Former Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at West Virginia University
The PSAC is scheduled to meet at 7:30 a.m. Monday, Sept. 8. The two-day schedule follows:
Note: Interview start times are approximate and will be conducted on a continuous basis with the exception of a break for lunch. All candidates will be interviewed immediately following the conclusion of the previous candidate listed on the schedule below.
|Monday, Sept. 8|
|7:30am – 8:00am||Committee Convenes|
|8:00am – 9:10am||Candidate #1 – Michael Amiridis|
|9:20am – 10:30am||Candidate #2 – Arthur Ellis|
|10:40am – 11:50am||Candidate #3 – Daniel Fogel|
|11:50am – 12:30pm||Lunch|
|12:30pm – 1:40pm||Candidate #4 – Michael Martin|
|1:50pm – 3:00pm||Candidate #5 – Kate Miller|
|3:10pm – 4:20pm||Candidate #6 – John Paul Jones|
|Tuesday, Sept. 9|
|8:15am – 9:40am||Candidate #7 – Richard Marchase|
|9:50am – 11:00am||Candidate #8 – John Thrasher|
|11:10am – 12:20pm||Candidate #9 – Michele Wheatly|
|12:20pm – 1:05pm||Lunch|
|1:05pm – 2:15pm||Candidate #10 – Garnett Stokes|
|2:25pm – 3:35pm||Candidate #11 – Murray Gibson|
Immediately following the final interview on Tuesday, the PSAC will discuss and select three or four candidates to return to campus the week of Sept. 15 for a series of individual open forums with students, faculty, staff and community groups.
Following the open forums, the Presidential Search Advisory Committee is scheduled to meet for the final time Monday, Sept. 22, to discuss and recommend no fewer than three finalists to be forwarded to the Florida State University Board of Trustees. The trustees will interview recommended finalists on Tuesday, Sept. 23, before meeting at 2 p.m. to discuss and select the next president of Florida State University.
Florida State received a total of 40 applications for university president before the application deadline Tuesday, Sept. 2. Two candidates withdrew prior to today’s meeting.