This message to all students has been approved by Dr. Sally McRorie, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Fall classes starts Monday, August 24. Drop/add is open now and remains open until 11:59 pm EDT on August 27. Courses at FSU in the Fall are being offered in a variety of modalities, including: in-person/face-to-face, remote/online, PC Flex (students choose in-person or remote; Panama City campus). It is possible that your Fall 2020 course schedule includes courses with different modalities.
This weekend review each of your courses, visit the course Canvas sites as they become available, and follow the checklist below to prepare for the Fall semester.
Fall 2020 Semester Information Checklist:
☐ Check your FSU email for all updates.
☐ Log into Campus Solutions (my.fsu.edu) and confirm your class schedule.
☐ For each class on your course schedule, pay close attention to how the class will be delivered. Note if your classes are remote/online/Flex or face-to-face.
- Class has no meeting days and times: Class is being delivered remotely/online, asynchronous; there is no regular meeting day and time. Your instructor will communicate through your FSU email and the course Canvas site to provide you more information about the course and how to participate in it.
- Class has a meeting day and time, but no building/room number: Class is being delivered remotely or online, synchronous. Regular class meetings will occur on the specified day and time via Zoom or other conferencing tool – check your course Canvas site for meeting information. These types of courses may also have additional asynchronous or online work that will be completed through Canvas. Courses that are PC Flex in Panama City may have students meeting in the classroom and other students participating live, at the same time, via Zoom.
- Class has a meeting day and time and a building/room number listed: Class meets face-to-face or in-person in the physical space listed, at the days and times listed. Classes that are coded as PC Flex will have a meeting day/time and class building/room assigned to them. Students in PC Flex classes (Panama City campus) can choose to attend Flex classes in-person or remotely – see your Canvas site for more details.
- Class has a building/room assigned for one day AND the class has another meeting day and time but no building/room: Class has a mix of in-person/face-to-face AND remote class meetings that will take place during the week. Example: the meeting day and time with the room assignment is when you meet face-to-face in the room listed. The day and time listed with no room is when you will participate remotely via Zoom or other conferencing tool.
☐ Review course information for each course in the Canvas site, course syllabus, and announcements. Instructors will also be available to answer questions.
☐ Review “Return to Student Life” for more information regarding Fall 2020, CDC guidelines, and expectations for students.
- If you have a face-to-face or Flex class in which you will be meeting in-person, make sure you have a face covering and your FSU Card readily available. You will need them both for classes on campus.
- Need a face covering? They are free on campus. Visit this website for more information about when and how to pick them up: https://studentaffairs.fsu.edu/virtualfsu/student-life/face-coverings/distribution
☐ Review what you need to do for each course for First Class Meeting Attendance.
- This is still in effect this Fall and will be handled differently, depending on your class.
- Attending face-to-face? Make sure you attend the first class meeting so you are not dropped.
- Online/Remote/Flex? Attendance activities will be communicated to you by your instructor. Watch your email, class announcements or Zoom invites to ensure you are recorded as attending.
☐ Review your HOME address in my.fsu.edu and update this information to reflect the physical address you will staying at while taking Fall classes. Update your phone numbers. https://registrar.fsu.edu/training/update_address/
☐ Be safe and stay updated! Follow all resources posted at Stay Healthy FSU (https://stayhealthy.fsu.edu/) and stay updated with local, state, and federal health and safety guidelines. Additionally, stay tuned to https://alerts.fsu.edu/ for up-to-date information.
Questions about the Class Search?
- When searching courses in Campus Solutions, you can use the physical location “class attribute” in the class search to help filter the type of class you are looking for.
- When using the scheduling assistant, students can search for and add a class, then click on “Sections” (the gear icon) to view the class attributes and physical location for each course section. The figure below shows an example of where to find class location attribute information when clicking on a course in the registration system (highlighted in yellow; demonstrating a PC FLEX course).