Florida State University Libraries invite the FSU community to submit proposals for openly accessible scholarly and creative works, including scholarly monographs, edited volumes, journals, textbooks and digital exhibits.
Submissions are due by Friday, Nov. 3, 2023.
Accepted submissions will be published through Florida State Open Publishing, or FSOP, a service of FSU Libraries that provides open-access publishing expertise, services and platforms to enhance the scholarly output of Florida State University students, faculty and staff.
“This service ensures unfettered digital access, promotes broad dissemination and impact, encourages innovation and experimentation and amplifies the voices of scholars working on niche or underserved topics,” said Devin Soper, director of the Office of Digital Research and Scholarship. “We are especially interested in working with authors and editors who share these values and are excited by the prospect of making the scholarly publishing ecosystem more diverse, inclusive and sustainable.”
Proposals will be reviewed by FSOP staff and members of the FSOP Advisory Board. Reviewers will score each proposal using a rubric that includes the following criteria:
- Significance: Projects that promise to be significant to a particular scholarly or creative audience or community, with priority given to projects that amplify marginalized voices and/or focus on topics that are underserved by traditional publishers
- Feasibility: Projects that are reasonable to complete within 12-18 months in formats that are easy to create and maintain
- Clarity: Information is clear, concise, and understandable, with adequate context provided
- Longevity: Content will remain relevant for a long period of time
- Openness: Projects that are intended to be freely accessible and published under Creative Commons licenses to maximize reuse
Proposals should have at least one contributor affiliated with FSU. Accepted proposals will be provided with the following publishing services:
- Digital publishing platform suited to the project
- Editorial project management (development of project plan and timeline and coordination of peer review and production work, as appropriate)
- Copyright permission templates and clearance
- Graphic design for book and journal covers
- Layout editing/typesetting
- Assignment of digital persistent identifiers (ISBNs, ISSNs, DOIs)
- Metadata creation and dissemination (cataloging, indexing, search engine optimization)
- Digital preservation services
FSOP authors retain intellectual property rights in their own work. Publications are released under a Creative Commons license in consultation with the author(s).
To submit proposals, visit publishing.lib.fsu.edu/publish-with-us/.
For more information and a catalog of past and current projects, visit publishing.lib.fsu.edu.